Saturday, December 23, 2006

December 16th


Its raining again! That meant we were not traveling to Chiufen Village to check out the sites. (Again a sad Sherry...) So the first place we visited was Martyrs Shrine. There we watched the changing of the guards (They stand just like the ones in London) and saw all the beautiful detail on the Shrine itself. Even though it was raining there was still someone washing down the outside of the shrine's walls! I wish my home got that kind of up keep! I know it is going to sound strange but it actually sounded like Taiwan. The way the rain was hitting the bamboo. I loved it! I am also noticing a trend with the Taiwan entrances. They are all HUGE and have big lions to keep the evil out. I need some of those lions for the patients that come to the office!




After Martyrs Shrine Fion (our wonderful interpreter) took us to a botanical garden. I was surprised to see all the people out in about in the rain. There we saw Monks and had some one come up and ask if they could take pictures of us. To which I said "Why??" but then said "Yeah what the heck". It was odd to have someone ask to take pictures with me but then I got to thinking as I was walking around,Matthew and I our the only Caucasian people I've seen so far on this trip, plus we our a foot taller then everyone else, tie that with my blonde hair and there you have! So I hope I didn't give the wrong impression with my puzzled face but I actually thought it was kind-of funny. Oh and by the way the gardens were GORGEOUS! I wanted to just walk around picking flowers but refrained myself. You know people did have cameras...

No I do not normally wear my jeans like this but in case you haven't noticed it is still RAINING!!
I saw this park out of the corner of my eye and made Fion pull the car over. It just looked to beautiful to pass up! Unfortunately I do not know what the name of it was but to me it was so tranquil. To Matthew it was just a park...that's my romantic man for you!


Across the street from the park was a little temple with no one there. So we ran over and took two quick photo's. I wanted to take a lantern but like the flowers earlier I refrained from doing so. Just look at all those lanterns (and that was only the left side of the walk way).
Site number two of which two girls asked to take our pictures. Fion had told us to be careful of our wallets in this Shrine which I thought was odd. I mean people actually steal from you in a place of worship. Now that's messed up! Matthew and I did leave with all our money and some more great photos.This is "Dry Street". Believe it or not everything that is sold on "Dry Street" is dried food. There seemed to be so many shops...all with the same thing!Another little Temple on "Dry Street". Come here and wish to find your soul mate!This cute little boy came running up to Matthew and I saying "I can speak English, I can speak English" all in Mandarin. I thought it was funny so I told him I could speak English too in Mandarin! He was just too cute so I had to take a picture.

No comments: