Sunday, June 15, 2008

One Lazy Day...

and the biggest smiles ever! Happy Daddy Day! Today we chilled in the pool, got our tan on and celebrated what you might ask?


No More Braces! Woo Hoo! Mama's 7 month sentence is now complete. LOL!

On another note I must add that Kobi has a new talent! Singing! Yes people he knows most of the lyrics to Bob Marley's "Three Little Birds" and he recites them over and over again during the day. Nothing is cuter then hearing your 2 year old singing "Every thing's gonna be alright" :) Then there is his new infatuation. Star Wars! Yes this little boy loves Yoda! He cries if this scary looking Yoda doll isn't in his room at night and I hear him saying "Jedi mind trick" to it. OK... clearly this is all daddies doing:)

His language skills have really blown me away lately. I find it remarkable that he knows when to use English vs Mandarin. Since Kobi entered our family in 06' I've continued to speak Mandarin to him. Usually just basic phrases and I am finding that he speaks these phrases to his teachers and also complete strangers when he's out cruising the town with mama. Now the funny part is he only speaks in Mandarin when he is face to face with an Asian person, English with everyone else. When asked "What is your name" by an Asian person he responds "An-An". This is his Taiwanese nickname. He will also repeatedly say "Ni hao" & other small phrases. Isn't that funny? How does such a little person know this stuff?? Driving in the car yesterday daddy handed Kobi a toy (still in the box) and Kobi's response was "Scissors please".

What can I say other then... funny kid!

15 comments:

JEff said...

He's getting so big! Congrats on the braces - I did braces again as an adult and loved it as much as you did! How interesting about the Mandarin vs English. I need to do a better job of incorporating that into our daily lives.

Tish said...

awesome photos! your teeth look wonderful! what a smart baby boy! i would love to hear his little voice singing bob marley...you should video it for us!

R... said...

This little boy has some awesome parents! You are teaching him the important things in life - having fun, enjoying good music, good manners and appreciating cultural diversity, among other things! And your teeth look great! :-)

R...

Sarah said...

NEXT VIDEO: Kobi's singing debut! I'd like to request "Three Little Birds," pretty please.

LaLa said...

What a cute little swimmer!!! Love that he is enjoying his summer..

Yeah...video please!

RamblingMother said...

Adorable!

Just Us said...

Great pictures..what fun he was having swimming. And ditto mamma..I wanna hear Kobi singing some Bob Marley!!! And that is so amazing that he knows the difference about when to use his english vs. his mandarin. What a smart little cookie you got there!

P.S. your smile looks great as ever...must be a relief to have the braces finally gone..that 7 mos. flew by fast!

Jake and Taryn said...

I LOVE all the photos!! Kobi looks like a great swimmer! I love the photo of Kobi from the back and I LOVE the one of you and Kobi at the bottom...your smile looks SO great! Congrats on no more braces! :)

Par said...

love the pool fun pictures.
Kobi speaks Mandarin, thats great how he's learning Mandarin.

Sherry said...

Kay~

I speak Mandarin to Kobi throughout the day. I have learned it through a Chinese school that I've attended since 01' in Maryland. (Trust me I'm not very good and totally tone deaf but I have picked up enough to get by and have just started reading/ writing it in 06':) When Kobi turns 4 he will be entered into this school and they will teach him up to (the equivalent) 12th grade level in Mandarin. Hopefully he will be much better then me by the age of 5. LOL!

Megan said...

Sherry,
Congrats on your teeth they look great! Were they crooked? Congrats to Kobi brianiac for ABC's and Mandarin skills! That is awesome. Kimi goes to mandarin daycare and most of kids have 3 languages and do the same as Kobi with switching! Watch out next they'll be talking about us in Mandarin hehe.

my3 kids said...

and what beautiful teeth you now have:) Your son Kobi is adorable. I have friends who are adopting from Taiwan...we have a daughter from Vietnam and one from China as well as a bio son. Life could not be better. Nice meeting you:)

Anonymous said...

You speak to Kobi in Mandarin?

That's really great to hear. Hopefully he'll become more than decent by the time he grows up.

Anonymous said...

You speak to Kobi in Mandarin?

That's really great to hear. Hopefully he'll become more than decent by the time he grows up.

insanemommy said...

Hey little momma. Those are TWO adorable smiles. Congrats on getting the braces off. I know first hand how hard it can be. Wore them three different times in my life and then had to have jaw surgery! Not. Fun. BUT,you my dear are stinkin cute...

Insane mommy.