Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Kobi's 1st Doctor Visit

Today was Kobi's first doctor appointment. Matthew and I took him down the road so he could see a special pediatrician that specializes in International Adoption. Dr Crawford was great and Kobi seemed to like him very much to which made the visit a pleasant one. Well...almost pleasant. Matthew and I had to hold poor baby Kobi down while the nurse gave him a shot. Thinking that was the worst of the visit (and now its over and we can take Kobi home) . Nope! We were given the name of another Pediatrician to see. Poor Kobi's belly button hernia might be to bad to correct itself and the doctor wanted another opinion. Then Matthew and I were sent away to get blood work done. I dreaded this part but figured we better get it done today! So my poor little man had to be restrained by Matthew and the whole crew at the blood lab while they removed 8 vials of blood. This I stayed out of the room for while I listened to the worst blood curdling scream I've ever heard. They had to remove blood from both arms and his foot. My poor, poor baby Kobi!! He came out of the room screaming and looking like something from the Mummy Returns! I just picked him up right away after his traumatic ordeal and he eventually stopped crying. I felt so bad in fact that I made Matthew drive the car home while I sat in the back with Kobi feeding him his baby rice cakes the whole time.

Thank Goodness that parts over!!

3 comments:

Andrea M said...

Ahh, it is so hard the first shots! I remember when my son had his, I cried the whole time because he cried. But then you pick them and they stop crying, cause Mommy's there :)

TaiwanMommy said...

Just curious- but why did they DO that? In my experience, it is not customary to do these massive blood draws in Taiwanese children because Taiwan isn't a third world country, and immunizations are standard proceedure there. Not that it matters now, what's done is done.. but poor little guy!

He really is a cutie! Did he get his start at Chun Yi? Cathwell? SLC?

I've enjoyed your blog so much-

Val
(Mom to two Taiwan lovies, Harper and Taelor, from SLC)

Angela said...

Having blood drawn from your baby is the worst! At least the shots are over in a second or so. My goodness--8 vials! I don't think I could stand that. I had a hard time holding onto William for 1 vial without completing losing it.

I hope you get good news on Kobi's hernia.

Angela